Ab Kettleby is a village and civil parish in the Melton district of Leicestershire England located 3 miles north of Melton Mowbray on the A606 road.It is situated 3 miles southeast of the border with Nottinghamshire. A Roman mosaic and pavement were found beneath the present churchyard indicating the presence of a villa.St. James's Church has a Norman font and a memorial to Everard Digby one of the Gunpowder plotters. The remains of the villa and a ditch running from north to south underneath the nave have caused serious structural problems for the church.Iron ore was obtained in all three parts of the parish.Holwell was the most important centre. Iron ore was first quarried to the north of Holwell on the south side of the narrow part of Landyke Lane in 1875 and continued in various places to the north and east of the hamlet until 1930. From 1931 until 1943 iron ore was mined rather than quarried east of Brown's Hill. The mine was a drift mine and the tunnel emerged from the north side of the hill in 1943. Quarrying was resumed at that point and continued until 1962. The last quarrying took place close to the road to Scalford Hall. Quarrying was done by hand with the help of explosives at first. The first quarrying machine was a petrol parrafin digger introduced in 1930. The first diesel digger arrived in 1943. The ore was at first taken away by horse and cart but the Holwell Iron Company built a standard-gauge mineral railway in 1877 which connected with the Midland Railway's Syston to Peterborough line west of Melton Mowbray. Most of this mineral railway was taken over and improved by the Midland in two stages: first as part of their Nottingham to Melton line and then as their Holwell branch (connecting with that line) in 1887. This was extended the same year northwards to Wycomb Junction on the Great Northern's Waltham branch. This branch transported the ore from Holwell as well as some of that from Eaton. The Holwell company built their own iron works close to the Holwell Branch which operated from 1881. The works was called Holwell Works because it was built by the Holwell Company but was actually at Asfordby Hill. The quarries and the mine fed the standard gauge line by means of narrow-gauge tramways. These were at first worked by gravity or horses but diesel locomotives were introduced in 1933. The tramways were replaced by lorries in 1948. Part of the quarry area has been landscaped and returned to agriculture; part has been left and retained as a nature reserve. One entrance to the mine tunnel has been blocked; the other entrance only partly blocked to allow bats to roost in the mine. In 1986 the area above the mine carried warning notices that the land is liable to subsidence. The railway has been lifted.Iron ore was quarried to the east and west of Wartnaby to the west of the A606 and to the north of the village on both sides of the Six Hills to Eastwell Road. Quarrying began in 1879 near to Stonepit House on the north side of the latter road. The last ore was obtained close to the A606 south of the crossroads in 1929. Quarrying always seems to have been done by hand with the help of explosives.No mechanical diggers were used.The ore was taken away by narrow gauge tramway to a tipping dock on the Midland Railway's Nottingham to Melton line to the north of the Old Dalby tunnel. From there it was taken by train to the Stanton Ironworks near Nottingham. The part of the tramway close to the tipping dock was a cable operated incline the loaded wagons going down the incline. The line from the quarries to the top of the incline was worked by horses at first but steam locomotives were introduced in 1880.The quarries were shallow but traces can be seen near to Stonepit House (marked now on OS maps as Berlea Farm). Elsewhere as a result of the quarrying the fields are at a lower level fhan the roads. However at one place the Six Hills Road was diverted onto land that had already been quarried and then the old course was quarried. Parts of the tramway's earthworks can still be seen.Quarrying took place at Ab Kettleby between 1892 and 1907. The quarries were to the north of the village: on either side of the lane to Holwell (which probably started first;) in the triangle between the A606 the Six Hills to Eastwell road and the lane to Holwell Mouth from Ab Kettleby; and on the north side of the Six Hills to Eastwell road. Quarrying was done by hand with the aid of explosives and the ore was taken by narrow gauge tramway to a tipping dock at the Midland Railway Holwell Branch north of Potter Hill. From there the ore was taken by train to Holwell Iron Works at Asfordby Hill. The lower end of the tramway was a cable worked inclined plane. At the quarry end the line was probably worked by horses which were later replaced by steam locomotives. The main sign of quarrying now is that some of the fields are at a lower level than the roads. In 1986 there was still an upturned quarry wagon at the site of the old tipping dock.The parish has a primary school a public house named after Sugarloaf MountainIt also has a village duck pond next to a large horse-chestnut tree and megalithic spring.Within the boundaries of the village is a holy well.Ab Kettleby Manor is an early 17th-century house in the village of Ab Kettleby Leicstershire. Built of ironstone with a central brick chimney the house is cruciform in plan.The Sugar LoafHouses on Main StreetSt James's churchSt Michael's church Wartnaby
Ab Kettleby is a village and civil parish in the Melton district of Leicestershire England located 3 miles north of Melton Mowbray on the A606 road.It is situated 3 miles southeast of the border with Nottinghamshire. A Roman mosaic and pavement were found beneath the present churchyard indicating the presence of a villa.St. James's Church has a Norman font and a memorial to Everard Digby one of the Gunpowder plotters. The remains of the villa and a ditch running from north to south underneath t
Addiscombe /Ëˆ Ã¦ d Éª s k É™m / is an area of South London England within the London Borough of Croydon. It is located 9.1 miles (15 km) south of Charing Cross and lies within the Historic County of Surrey. Addiscombe is a ward and had a population of 16883 in 2011.Addiscombe as a place name is Anglo-Saxon in origin and means "Eadda or Ã†ddi's estate" from an Anglo-Saxon personal name and the word camp meaning an enclosed area in Old English. The same Anglo-Saxon land-owner may have given his name to Addington around two miles to the south.By the thirteenth century Addiscombe formed part of Croydon Manor and was known as enclosed land belonging to Eadda. The area was a rural and heavily wooded area remaining so until the late nineteenth century. Its main industries were farming and brick-making. Clay deposits at Woodside provided the raw materials for the latter. During the Tudor period Addiscombe was a large country estate a mile from Croydon owned by the Heron family. Sir Nicholas Heron who died in 1586 is interred in Croydon Parish Church.The estate passed through several owners until 1650 when it was sold to Sir Purbeck Temple a member of the Privy Council in the time of Charles II. After the death of Sir Purbeck in 1695 and his wife Dame Sarah Temple in 1700 the estate passed to Dame Sarahâ€™s nephew William Draper who was married to the daughter of the famous diarist John Evelyn. When Draper died in 1718 he left his estate to his son of the same name and it then passed to his nephew Charles Clark.In 1702 Addiscombe Place was built to Sir John Vanbrugh's design. He is best known for Blenheim Palace and Castle Howard and was a prime exponent of the English Baroque style. The house was built on a site which is now the corner of Outram Road and Mulberry Lane. It became known as one of three great houses in Addiscombe the others being 'Ashburton House' and 'Stroud Green House'. It replaced the fine Elizabethan mansion built by Thomas Heron in 1516.John Evelyn recorded in his Diary "I went to Adscomb on 11 July 1703 to see my son-in-lawâ€™s new house. It has excellent brickwork and Portland stone features that I pronounced it good solid architecture and one of the very best gentlemen's houses in Surrey." Distinguished guests who stayed at the mansion include George III William Pitt and Peter the Great of Russia.In 1809 Emelius Ratcliffe sold the Addiscombe Place to the British East India Company for Â£15500 whereupon it became a military academy known as the Addiscombe Military Seminary. The company dealt in the importation of tea coffee silk cotton and spices and maintained its own private army. The officers of this army were trained at Addiscombe before setting off for India. After the Indian Mutiny of 1857 the British Government took over control of British India and amalgamated the forces of the Company with the Presidency armies. The military seminary was closed in 1861 and the remaining cadets transferred to the Royal Military College Sandhurst. In 1863 the seminary buildings were sold for Â£33600 to developers who razed most of them to the ground. All that survives today are two buildings called 'Ashleigh' and 'India' on the corner of Clyde Road and Addiscombe Road and a former gymnasium on Havelock Road now private apartments.Five parallel roads were laid out to the south of the former college site â€“ Outram Havelock Elgin Clyde and Canning Roads. They were all named after individuals who were prominent in either the military or civil governance of British India namely; Sir James Outram Bt Sir Henry Havelock The Earl of Elgin The Lord Clyde and The Earl Canning.With the advent of the railways in the 1830s Cherry Orchard Road linking Addiscombe with Croydon ceased to be a quiet rural lane and railway workers' cottages sprang up many with the still-visible date of 1838. However it was not until 1858 and the sale of the college that significant urbanisation occurred.There was formerly a small chapel attached to Addiscombe Military Seminary and to this cadets paraded each morning and evening for a service conducted by the chaplain. On Sundays cadets went down to the Parish Church in Croydon. By 1827 it became clear that Croydon Parish Church was too far away to minister to the college needs and St James' Parish Church was built and consecrated on 31 January 1829. The population of Addiscombe at this time was about 1000. In 1870 the church of St Paulâ€™s (built by Edward Buckton Lamb) was opened and then rededicated in 1874 to St Mary Magdalene. The parish of Addiscombe was formed in 1879.In the 1890s the Ashburton Estate was gradually sold for redevelopment and Ashburton House which had previously hosted literary figures such as Alfred Lord Tennyson Thomas Carlyle and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was demolished in 1910.Since early 2006 several parts of Addiscombe have been in the process of extensive regeneration notably the addition of housing to the site of the former Black Horse Pub and the demolition of former Church Halls and a small garden centre in Bingham Road allowing a new Church Hall and community complex to be built and provide luxury retirement apartments on adjoining land. The old Bingham Road railway station along with two low height railway bridges have been demolished making way for a new tramlink line with Addiscombe Tram Stop. The former rail station featured in the opening scenes of the 1960 Tony Hancock film "The Rebel".Addiscombe railway station - about 500 metres west of Addiscombe's main parade and the present tram station - was demolished following the withdrawal of services from Elmers End. Part of the section between Woodside and Addiscombe railway stations is now Addiscombe Railway Park and part the former Station area has been redeveloped for housing as East India Way.